Creating a Healthy Place for Children to Learn
The Operation Fit program was developed by a collaboration between Bronson Battle Creek, Battle Creek Family YMCA, Battle Creek Community Foundation, and Population Health Alliance, along with community agencies, organizations, and philanthropic community members. The goal of this program is to decrease the rate of childhood obesity in Calhoun County through hands-on activities, access to fresh fruits and vegetables, and nutritional education.
Operation Fit is currently being implemented at Valley View and Fremont Elementary Schools in the Battle Creek Public Schools District, along with Prairieview Elementary School in the Lakeview School District.
We’re committed to improving education in Battle Creek. Find out how.
This literacy campaign encourages students to read. Learn more about our work.
Learn how you can impact the Battle Creek community for the better.
One Message, One MIssion
Since its start in 2012, Operation Fit has provided a consistent message to children throughout their lives. They aim to make the school environment a positive influence on the development of behavior that leads to a healthy lifestyle. Operation Fit also encourages parents to continue spreading that message at home.
The key goals of the program are to:
- Increase physical activity
- Improve nutrition and the lunchroom environment
- Create supportive environments through policies, education, communication, and parent support
These goals are accomplished through tactics like:
- Brain breaks and dance sessions throughout the school day
- Nutritional education
- Structured group physical activities
- Taste testing for healthy options children may not have experience with
- Allowing students to have an impact on their lunch menus
- Providing access to fresh fruits and vegetables
- And more!
Operation Fit’s ultimate goal is simple—to promote healthy practices in children that can follow them throughout their lives.
Do you have questions about our organization or our work? Click the button to reach out to us.